Sunday, July 5, 2009

Dream #4

This dream starts out in the 5th grade cafeteria.

5th grade was in its own building, with a cafeteria that was also used by 4th grade. I suppose the cafeteria was really the majority of the building.

In the dream, the cafeteria had a much higher ceiling (like the high school cafeteria). Above the ceiling were three rooms, with skylight-like structures looking down into the cafeteria.

The three rooms were for the really popular kids. There were three so that different types of popular could be accomodated: jocks in one room, goths in another, that sort of thing. The rooms could be used by the popular kids not only during lunch, but any time. They were referred to as "apartments", and some of the kids really did live there.

At some point there was a fight down in the cafeteria, between the three different types of kid. The popular kids observed through the glass. The fight ended in a sort of slow roll, with a few last injuries being exchanged by kids trying to get the "last word", after it was all really over.

Each of these was reciprocated quickly, and so did not really acheive the purpose. People saw this and quit trying.

I was not one of the kids in the dream. I looked on with some interest, even further removed then the popular kids. In the dream, I was actually disappointed that the fight stopped. It had been entertaining. Though, in truth, I didn't even bother to visualize anything but the very end of the fight. The rolling stop was my attempt to imagine a fight. My disappointment was really just that I couldn't get people to hit eachother without them immediately realizing how pointless it is.

The next part of the dream did have me in it.

For some reason, me and two others were trying to sneak into the cafeteria. Maybe we were trying to get into the popular kid rooms. Anyway, the mastermind of the project was someone whose only defined property was the tendency to make overcomplicated plans. He was a character a little like Tom Sawyer or Detective Cluesoe from Pink Panther. (The old ones.) The break-in plan involved a lookalike for me (this was the 3rd person).

All that happened before the plan went to pieces was that I walked around the corner of the building and met my lookalike.

I am not sure exactly how the plan went to pieces, but we three ended up in the getaway vehicle, getting away.

We just kept driving.

The getaway drive turned into a way of life. We made enough money for gasoline based on an odd trading system that started with an initial theft, but involved mutually profitable transactions from that point on. The gas stations were not really gas stations. They were indoor rooms, which were mostly filled with odd tourist stuff: supposedly historical artifacts. These are the things we "traded" back and forth between stations to make a profit. We did this without permission from the stations, but always made trades that were beneficial to both sides. And took a little money from the till for our trouble.

Eventually we got into territory in which this way of life was becoming impossible. It was like we knew there would be a big fight coming up. A boss we had to pass, like it was a video game. I stocked up on little grenades that I was now taking from the stations instead of money. The leader thought we would have to get rid of all those, however, in order to get past some sort of border guard. His plan instead was to (like a video game) fight a lot of minions once we got past the border guard, so that we would level up before coming to the boss.

That part ended there.

The next part was a large family reunion, taking place in a church-like building. (It had rows of pews, but they seemed to be all over the place, not facing an alter like in a church.) The atmosphere was much like a public church thanksgiving dinner. It was quite late, so there was not much food left, but lots of people were still there. Daniel and I went to get some food. The food that was left was along the side of a ramp leading up to more pews (think of a stadium). We had expected there to be more food up where the pews were, but there were just people in pews.

Someone we had seen last year at the same event stopped us. A politician in the family. I let him give his shpeal to Daniel while I got food.

In the morning I was at a different family reunion, with Laura's family. I was excited to see Laura, but she was fairly busy helping serve dishes and such. She did however attempt to teach me all the inside jokes of the family, and we managed to get one hug in.

Some of that reunion went on outside in what looked like Dad's yard (but wasn't supposed to be). I didn't see Laura outside, though. There were lots of people there, and I was taking photos. After a while, there were big white furry creatures there. They were something like a mix of giant sloth and antelope. I was under the impression that they were capable of talking, though they did not talk to me.

1 comment:

  1. the big white furry things represent Rosie. i think. because she is big, mostly white, moves about as much as a sloth (as in,spends 97% of the day not moving) but she can run really fast when she is moving. they are capable of talking because to me Rosie is a person, and i talk to her. but you've never met her so you've never talked to her.

    ReplyDelete